Thursday, December 18, 2014

The Gems Need Your Help!



Before we opened...


While preparing to open The Gem Foundation 

my best guess was that we would add Gem upon Gem

ever-so-slooooooowly.

I thought that probably in the first year we would have

 six or so sweet Gems to love and care for.

Our first Gems arrived!



Imagine the surprise when Watoto contacted

The Gem Foundation and asked me if we could

partner with them!

Before long they gifted us our first 11 Gems!!!

Wow!! 

I was in shock to say the least!!

Of course, we were smitten with each of the 11!!

Definitely looking forward to a bit of pink sometime

in the future,

but things were busy and the rooms were

nearly filled - already!!

Before we could even get really settled with the 11,

a call came for one who needed a home.

Before long we took the "extra" room we had for supplies

and the nurses station and moved

a sweet girl gem into there.

Then there was another call.

And then another call.

Every room available was now overflowing.



But what would we do?

Turn our back?

Never!!

The needs have been enormous!!

Bigger than we could have imagined.

More beds ordered as quickly as possible.

One coming from the far west.

One coming from way up north.

Many severely abused.

One left naked and tied up in public.

Horrific malnutrition.

Desperate situations.

Indescribable needs.

More cribs ordered.

Squeezing in here and squeezing in there.

And the calls keep coming.

With every addition our hearts have welcomed

and embraced each new Gem.

All fitting in to our precious Gem family.  

Personally, I have been so humbled and amazed by all that God

has done in our life and ministry.

He has blessed us and provided again and again.

Now just five months later, we have had the joy of 

caring for 23 precious ‘Gems’!!

Little did we know that in the first five months,

 we would not only have tremendous joy and blessings

but also such sorrow and grief

with the loss of Arthur and Jason.

When we first began I joked with friends that we’d grow little by little.

Little did I know that God had other ideas and soon our arms

would spill over with His precious Gems.


.



Tonight downstairs twenty-one precious Gems snooze in their beds.

My eyes fill with tears.

 His goodness never ceases to amaze me.

Yet  several months before we opened

 God began to whisper to me that someday we’d need a place

 to call our forever home.

I thought that maybe that day would come in a few years.

And with each phone call and new referral for our home

I realized "someday" might be sooner than I had imagined!!

As we have grown we quickly came to understand that

our home is just not big enough.

We’ve rearranged rooms more times then I can count as

we’ve added each new crib.


But friends - we are more than out of room!

We must do something to change that.

The need is still too large!

With much prayer we began to dream of our own place to

truly call our forever home.

A place where our Gems can heal, learn and grow.

We're dreaming of a place that we no longer struggle

to bath our kiddos, 

but a place with wheelchair accessible showers.


We're even dreaming of a place with land to run and play -

to plant and to grow our own food.

We are dreaming of a place to see our Gems thrive and

take their very own steps.

We dream of a village of special needs children growing to adults

because some will grow with us for a short season,

some will be resettled

and

some will live with us long term. 

Would you prayerfully consider joining us 
in making our forever home a reality?

Here are just a few ways you could partner with us...

First, would you please pray with us?

Ask God to direct your steps...

Then - 

Perhaps you would host a fundraiser 

or

 have a cupcake sale

or

organize a multi-family yard sale

or

have an auction...

or

even get your church involved...


There are so many ways you can be apart of

The Gem Foundation's Forever Home!!!

If you or someone you know is interested in partnering with us:

Send us an email at:

office@thegemfoundation.com

You can also be a part by donating now.


DONATE



We need you!

Will you help us??

3 comments:

VCR said...

YES! I WILL HELP! I will begin praying about how to do this, but I will do SOMETHING! I refuse to sit around and wait for someone else to do what God has called me to do myself! And when, in the past, I asked God to do something, He gently reminded me that HE DID - He created me! (Both of these thoughts have been borrowed from beautiful, contemporary music by Matthew West and Josh Wilson.) Thank you, Emma and team, for what you are doing for these precious ones in Uganda! <3 you!

RhiannanT said...

If not us than who? If not me and you? :0)

Amanda Wood said...

Emma, I work with Trades of Hope and I would love to partner with you and have a party and give you all the profits I would make. If you can help me publicize it, I want to help. I make 20% on all sales and it would be all yours for you and the precious gems.

Please email me. Mrsawood08@gmail.com

Www.mytradesofhope.com/AmandaWood