Saturday, January 22, 2011

What a name means in Uganda.

(walking in Ssenge village with some friends beside us is the school the team painted)

In Uganda a name is simply not just a name.
A name means more then you would have ever thought.
A name means something special.
A name is a title.
A title to what your relationship with that person is.
I personally am not very good with names.
I forget easily and struggle with remembering.
So now I pray that God will help me remember them.
Because in Africa it means the world to these people.


What a name means:
A name means you care about them.
A name means you love them.
Remembering a name means you think they are important.
A name means you are Friends.

It's funny to think a name can mean all those things.

To someone you have barely met.
But it does.
When you know someone by name they become important to you.
When you think about him/her name you begin to love things about that person.
As soon as you know their name you care about them.
Having them remember your name makes you friends.

When I walk through the village
and hear "Mzungu" (white person)
It is just what they call every other (white person)
But its totally different
when I walk through the village and hear "Emmamarie"
My whole heart changes because it is my friends calling me.
It is someone who loves me.
Someone who thinks I am important.
Someone who cares about me.


Its funny how if you meet someone you have met before and they can't remember your name it puts a distance between you. But if they remember it changes everything.
It says in bible that God knew your name before you were made.
If God can remember billions of people's names
I think I can remember a few hundred:)
I'm just saying.

But now thus says the Lord, he who created you, O Jacob, he who formed you, O Israel: “Fear not, for I have redeemed you;I have called you by name, you are mine. Isaiah 43:1

So next time you meet someone try to remember there name
something so small can mean the world to them.

2 comments:

Chris and Sarah said...

WOW, what a testimony Emma. I am so bad at the name thing too. Before having kids I had a job that I had to memorize hundreds of patients name just for that reason, so that they would feel I had a relationship with them. After having kids I have been horrible at it. What a great reminder of how important it is. Thank you~!

Jamie said...

You are spot on Emma, thank you so much for posting this!