Sunday, January 9, 2011

The hair ties...

sometimes we take things for granted..
But some things are not things you would typically notice
as being something you could take for granted.

Today I realized what "somethings"
I don't realize or picture it as taking it for granted
such as

Food.
Water.
Having clothes to wear.
Going to school.

My family.
Having the privledge of having a Mom or a Dad.

Having a roof over my head.
Having a grandma.
Being alive.
Having alive family.
Somewhere safe to sleep.

the last few days I have noticed these things
and realized how privileged I am.

Like when today at church
we had kids come up to us asking us to pray
for them to have school fee's so that they can go to school.

When all the time at home people complain about school.
When really in reality we HAVE THE PRIVILEGE TO GO.

and then there is the street mom and daughter I saw as I was walking the street.
who had nothing...
they had ripped clothing.
No food.
No water.
No Home.
No safe place to sleep.

And I have the privilege to have food
to have water.
to have a home.
to have a safe place to sleep.

My heart just aches as I picture them forever imprinted in my mind.
Them.
I handed them the rest of my water bottle.... and they were so blessed and excited.
To have just water..

Then there is the the African Hearts Leaders.
Who told us there testimony.
... Like Junior...
Who's Mom died of AIDS.
Who's Sister died of AIDS.
Who's Brother died of AIDS.
Who's DAD died of AIDS.
Who's Auntie's died of AIDS.

Sometimes we don't realize how big of a blessing it is to have a family.

...Then there is my sweet Friends Rachel and Peace..
From Ssenge Village.
They are so sweet.
I have watched Rachel grow up since 2008
she is now 5.
today I met her friend
little Peace who is also 5
They sat next to me the whole church service.
Holding my hands.
They kept rubbing my arm
and playing with 2 hair ties on my arm for me to put my hair up later with.

Then I realized it.

How I take for granted even my little hair ties.
My little things you don't think about.
like my hair ties.
I have learned on this trip how I want to be that girl who gives.
who doesn't hold back
and say well I need that in case I get hot and want to put my hair up.

I want to be that girl who gives with out holding anything back
who gives everything.

If someone is hungry I give them food.

If someone is thirsty I give them water.

If someone needs clothes I give them mine.
Really I want to give everything away.
No more holding back
No more worrying about money
No more
No more

after awhile I realized how they just really adored my little hair ties.
Really they loved them.
I slipped them off my wrist and put one on Rachel's hand and one on Peace.
It was like I had given them the world.
And in reality it was just a little hair tie.
How much I have taken for granted.

From now on I will give and give and hold nothing back.








7 comments:

Heather said...

What amazing thoughts. I wish we all would realize these things. I can see the two little girls playing with hair ties.

Natali said...

You just made me cry, and become so happy that you are in Uganda, my friend. I am so happy you are there and sharing the Love. I know Uganda is too. Your Uganda.

Anonymous said...

Precious Emma, God is doing an amazing work in your heart. And thru your heart, He's doing a work in mine as well. Keep sharing, sweet sister. God bless.
jenny

Catalina said...

Thank you for sharing this, Emma. This is so evident, yet we forget to easily. I sit here and complain about having TOO much stuff. And someone out there has nothing at all.

Hugs, little sister. Can't wait to meet you one day in person, if not here on Earth, then in our next home.

Paige and Jesse Beauchamp said...

Its a small world.....I have been in contact with Barbara at Sanyu because we would love to adopt one of the babies or children at the home... We are waiting anxiously from her to hear if we can proceed. I met your mom through my sister in law who lives in Colorado!
I just want to let you know that I am jealous! My husband and I hope to be doing our part in Uganda once we bring our next child home. I will be praying for your trip!

paige

Paige and Jesse Beauchamp said...

Its a small world.....I have been in contact with Barbara at Sanyu because we would love to adopt one of the babies or children at the home... We are waiting anxiously from her to hear if we can proceed. I met your mom through my sister in law who lives in Colorado!
I just want to let you know that I am jealous! My husband and I hope to be doing our part in Uganda once we bring our next child home. I will be praying for your trip!

paige

Jim and April said...

wow...oh emma thanks for this post...your words...your heart! Giving those two little rubber bands to them made their whole week it sounds like! i long to be there and help them like you are doing!