Tuesday, October 12, 2010

The wedding date...

Lutaaya and me (presenting the instruments I brought first trip)

It all goes back to Uganda July 2008 my very first trip to Uganda....It was just me and my Dad...My Dad was going to be teaching a pastors confrence and I would work in Orphanages and we would both work with African Hearts.
For those of you who dont know -African Hearts is a boys program which takes boys off the streets, and gives them a second chance. They will also learn a brass instrument and get to play in the brass band that is famous in the Kampala area. The money raised by the brass band will provide funds for college. They attend church and learn all about Jesus!
My Dad was also going to be mentoring the young African Hearts Leaders at the Kampala Boys home!! (There is now 2 homes - one in Ssenge and one in Kampala.)....Well during one of the mentoring times he had all of the leaders gathered around: George,Tony, Lutaaya, Junior,etc... He started to talk about "Dads and Fathers" and the room became silent..He looked around and asked "Who here has a Dad?" Every one of those young men looked at him and said "none of us do".
All of their Dads had either abandoned them or left them. They all grew up around the streets of Kampala...and now radically changed by the Power of God, they were not only off the streets themselves but now giving their lives away for the young street boys! It's truly amazing to watch these young men who have had nothing give away every part of themselves for these boys...

Now back to the mentoring.... when all of them replied sadly that none of them had fathers... My Dad said "I'll be your Dad" and instantly all of the young men jumped up and started cheering!! They were giving each other high fives and shouting with excitement!! They now had a Dad!!!
From then on I have always been their sister... When I see them they will say "Hey sister" "I love you sister"...They really are the most amazing brothers!!

They are as close to me as all my siblings are!! They call my mom "Mum" and my Dad "Dad".

We really are a much bigger family then you all know:)))

(from left to right Lutaaya,Me,Kasandra,Dad)



Anyway, Lutaaya has long been in love with Kasandra (his princess). They have planned to get married since meeting them in 2008. In Uganda there is the "bridal price" that every young man must pay for his bride. He pays it to the brides family...


Since :utaaya has been giving it all to serve the street boys...he didn't have the funds to buy all the cows and this bride is so beautiful she is far more expensive:) He needed 10 cows....so this past May when I was in Uganda...Before hand we decided to surpise him... we came up with BUY A COW FOR LUTAAYA at our church.

We started advertising it and every person who bought a cow we would take a picture of the person who bought it, to present it to him!! So one night in May we invited Lutaaya and Kasandra to have dinner with us up at Namirembe (the guest house we stayed at).

We told them we had a present for them..Slowly we started to pull out envelopes and pass one to Lutaaya and Kasandra. Each card read "I have bought one cow"....they were crying and so excited they love each other so much!! The last cow was still missing. We had an envelope that read "you must buy the last cow yourself because I am your Dad I want you to work hard for this last cow." Then my dad paused and said, "The only one who can change this is your Mum."

My dad's cell phone started to ring. My dad had Lutaaya answer the phone. It was mom on the other end, calling from Colorado. She said to Lutaaya, "Son, we are very proud of you. We are very proud of how you have sacrificed for the Lord. We love you very much. We always miss you. Please ask Dad for the envelope."

Immediately Lutaaya turned to my dad and said "Dad give me the envelope." Everyone burst out laughing...Inside the hidden envelope were the words, "Cow number 10 has been paid for by mum and dad." Tears were rolling down their cheeks as their dream was fulfilled -

they finally had the money to pay the bridal price....
so they could get married!!!


Immediately Lutaaya invited his sister {me!} to the wedding :) and my Dad and so on with our family...Kasandra grabbed her calander in her purse and started naming off dates they could be married on!!! It was so thrilling and exciting to watch my Brother and his fiance, with love in their eyes, talk of being married soon!!

Just a few days ago we got the date for their wedding. They are to be married on January 16, 2011....Dad and I and Graham will be attending the wedding!! Dad and I will again be leading a team leaving (give or take) January 3rd, 2011 to January 16th, 2011...Dad and Gray and I will stay longer. Lots of details to come. Check out : A Place Called Simplicity for details:)


I can not wait to be back in Uganda! Only a few months away and lots of fundraising to do but God will provide just like he always does!

15 comments:

Chris and Sarah said...

How exciting!!!

natali said...

that is soooo stinkin exciting!! i'm stoked for you!!! woohOO!!!!

Christy said...

So cool! Thanks for sharing! Congrats on your upcoming trip and congratulations to the happy couple! I just wrote on your Mom's site that we'd love to but we can't right now - all our finances are going towards our adoption. But we have a little girl from Uganda coming to stay with us while she has heart surgery (through Samaritan's Purse) so we're very excited to learn more about Uganda!

Brittany said...

Hey Emma.. I'm so excited for you about you going back to Uganda!!! I know you don't know me, but I started reading your mom's blog and found my way hear to yours. You remind me alot of myself, I started going to Venezuela when I was 13 and since my second trip to Venezuela when I was 14, I knew I was called to a life of full-time missions, as I can see you are too, as your passion shines through your writing. I'll be remembering you in prayer! Keep listening to His guidance and before long you'll be to the point of moving overseas (as I'm preparing to do now... leaving in a week!)...as you know there is nothing better than following God's call on your life.

Oh, also, fyi.. I had the same song on my blog (Set the World on fire), for some reason my started playing a different song, the same one yours is playing now, and I had to go back and search again for the song, one is the correct song and the other is the weird song that was playing on my blog and is now playing on yours. Thought I'd let you know, it took me a while before I knew what was playing on mine.

Anna said...

Emma!!! I am SO happy for you! And I am SO excited!!! Very soon and you will be back home!!! but more then anything I am SO sad!! Like melt my heart sad!! Why can you not come just 2 weeks earlyer??? Sigh. Could your dad maybe talk to my parents and convince them to let me stay a few weeks longer and join up with you? Please? Sigh. If only. (It actually might be possible...let me talk to my parents!! {pray!!} And then I will get back to you! Sadly I think they will want me home for Christmas. drats). Miss you lots!!! xoxox

Kim Foo said...

oh my gosh emma this is so great! take lots of pics!!!

The Heaton Family said...

what a beautiful story!!!! It brought tears to my eyes. I am SO excited for my Molly to maybe (prayerfully) be going on this trip with you all! I've got it all figured out: she'll fly to Colorado to meet up with you and then you all can fly together!
Hum....not sure about the return trip if you stay longer.....I can just hear her now, "MOM! I will stay longer too!" lol

What God is doing in your life is an inspiration to us over here in Montana!

Sandee said...

This is an awesome awesome sweet story. Reminds me so of the coming alongside sharing that David Platt shares in his Radical book (chap 5) What a blessing Emma. I have been following your mom's blog for a long time. I will need to follow yours too. I have been also following another young lady, going to Uganda in January...Gabi. Don't know if you know her, but your hearts sound awefully alike. Not sure if your areas will be close to each other, but I know she could use some encouragement from a like minded sister.

Blessings to you and your exciting journey. Can't wait to see some wedding pictures!

(See Gabi here: http://sandeefamily.blogspot.com/2010/09/baby-step-is-still-step.html or here: http://icarryyouinme.wordpress.com/

Blessings to you.

becky.coates said...

Just come visiting from your mums blog. Wow what a wonderful story/experience. I read it through the tears. Was wondering if there is anything we can send/give for a wedding present as they are such a lovely couple. Look forward to seeing the pictures and it is great knowing that when you get to live there you have extended family. xxx

- Sarah :-) said...

What an amazing story! I was almost in tears... LOVE it! :-D and I can't wait to see pictures from your next trip.

Su said...

so I came here from your mom's blog. . crying as I read this!! thanks for writing this beautiful story out. .and thanks for serving our King.

Rachel said...

Oh Emma - I love this! Now if your mom had advertised the Buy A Cow thing on her blog... I think there may have been a stampede in the village :)

So happy for their upcoming wedding - thank you for sharing their beautiful story!

Lexie said...

This is way to precious! My heart is in my throat! I can not exclaim how happy I am for this precious brother of yours! From the moment I met Lutaaya I knew he was a precious soul...the sacrifices that he makes for those boys are unbelievable! Oh my goodness. I'm just so excited for him!!!!

Oh, how I'd give anything in this world to go with y'all again on January 3rd, Emma!

Hug all of them-Lutayaa, George, Tony, Kenny, Junior-- tight and tell them hello for me.

So excited for you, Em!

And for anybody reading this wondering if they should take the leap of faith and GO....From somebody who was blessed to get to go with Pastor Dwight, Emma and Graham (or "Gra-hAm" in Uganda ;)) 2 summers ago....I totally encourage you to DO IT! BE CHANGED BY UGANDA!

I can't wait till the day God brings me back to that beautiful place.

Lexie

Teach said...

oh I so wish I could join you, Em! That is so awesome that you are going to be there for the wedding! Praise God! and praying for you guys as you prepare and make it a reality again! Blessings!!

Heckert's Highway said...

Ok, I'm just bawling!!! Thank you so very much for sharing this story with us! I love your heart and can't wait to see how the Lord uses you for His glory. What an amazing young lady you are!!