Tuesday, June 1, 2010

From My Heart

As I sit here today my mind goes back to where it was just a few weeks ago.
It goes back to Uganda. Not just any part of Uganda,my Uganda. It instantly makes me remember the sights and the sounds of driving in to the city that day. As I sit in the Taxi that day I can smell the rotting garbage. As you breath in, the exhaust of the vehicles gets caught in your lungs and as I let out a breath I sigh with a smile I am back in my Uganda.


As the taxi starts nearing the city, you start little by little to see more and more people, your mind wonders to where are they all going today? Then you have to think well where am I going? My Friend Jessica who lives in Uganda I once asked her that question where are they all going? She simply replied "they are all just trying to make today". You see in the Western World we have the conveniences of having a sure set amount you will make at the end of your pay period. You have the ability to know and be reassured so that you have the freedom to buy food....as you need it or want it.


But that is not the story in Uganda. You see there they work everyday just to survive. They have no idea if they will even have enough to feed their family that night. For the vendors selling bananas or mangos what they make is what will feed their babies and children at home. It they don't make enough they won't get to eat.

After the Uganda Go Team 2010 was finished eating lunch down town Kampala, we started walking towards our taxi. As we all started to pile in, I looked over and saw 3 ladies who were vendors. They had all sorts of fruit in there baskets. The look in the lady's eyes who had bananas in her basket was deep. You could see the pain. You could see the worry. You could see through her as if she was saying please just buy one banana. As I looked at the bananas I noticed that they have started to rot. At the same time my dad also noticed her. The sadness. The pain. He walked over and dropped some coins in her hand. She smiled....


There are many people in Uganda just trying to survive. They are just like this lady I wrote about. Like all the people going in to the city just trying to find work so they can make money to feed there family.


So as we sit in our nice comfortable house with a pantry of food with all the modern conveniences I think of the lady who has to wonder the streets hoping, praying that tonight she can feed her family. How can we complain about making dinner again? When we think of the people who wish they had food to make dinner. How can we complain about washing dishes again, when we think of the people in Uganda just wishing they had a dirty dish to wash? Think of these people,think of the lady with the banana's and pray that today they can feed their families. My heart is heavy.

7 comments:

Family said...

Thanks for sharing, that echos very truly with me.
Em

Sherri said...

Wow! I have been complaing way to much latley. This post is just what I needed. Thanks Em!

In Christ Alone,

Sherri

Steiners! said...

.... forever changed, Em. :)

natali said...

thanks for sharing, Emma. remember that although your heart is heavy, its a good thing, because then you can help those who have nothing, and spread the word/Word. i can only imagine what you feel, but just know that He is there with you, and wants you to keep on keeping on :))

Miss. Jinny said...

Emmie your heart for Uganda is amazing you are a true testimony of God's heart and love for these people! I love you so much and can't wait to see what God is going to do in your life! :) Thank you for reminding me what we truly do have! :)

Anonymous said...

Dear Em, I am a girl just like you(15 almost 16), who is amazed by what God does to those who listen to his calling. It is so cool/amazing what you are doing! Keeping up with your blog, is like being apart of the lives of the people in Uganda, I love it! Thank you for sharing everything that goes on in your life, it blesses others :)

CARE Families said...

Hi Em.

I read the other day that the opposite of poverty is not wealth. The opposite of poverty is having enough.

At our evening meals, Tavin and Taleah, who have both stay for months in Kenya and know what it's like not to have enough to eat, always pray for Africa to have food.

May we all learn what it means to have enough.

Thanks for posting.

Lisa